April 1, 2008

Let's kick things off with a sweet treat!

These cookies are a hit, whenever I make them, for whoever I make them for! They're not only loved by those on restricted diets, but those who aren't, especially children! I took them to a potluck dinner recently and everyone loved them! They bake up crispy-ish on the outside and chewy on the inside. Yummy!

Fudgy Chocolate Cookies

125 g Nuttelex (or any dairy free margarine, which can be found in health food stores and is often in the Vegan section. I prefer Nuttelex because it works well and tastes good...http://www.nuttelex.com.au/home, but I'm not sure if it's available outside of Australia)
1 1/4 cups ( 275 g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 cup (150 g) Gluten free all purpose plain flour (I use the brand Orgran...http://www.orgran.com/product-information/product-range.html)
1/4 cup (35 g) Gluten free self-raising flour (again I use Orgran's brand)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 Lindt 70% cocoa dark chocolate bar (chopped into small pieces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit or ~ 176 degrees celsius.
Beat Nuttelex and sugar with electric mixer in bowl.
Add vanilla and egg...mix.
Stir in combined sifted flours, soda, cocoa powder, and chopped pieces of dark chocolate bar. Mix well until a cookie dough forms.
Drop by rounded teaspoon onto cookie sheet.
Bake for ~ 10 to 12 minutes (will depend on your oven). The cookies should be nicely browned on the bottom and edges.
Let stand for 5 minutes before transfering to a cooling rack.
Let cool and Enjoy!

These cookies keep well in an air tight container and freeze very well.

3 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

yeah so I'll have to try this in a year or so when I have overcome the chocolate addiction and can have it in moderation...if that every happens.

Kat said...

Sounds like a great recipe! Thanks for sharing! I'll definetely try this one. Do you have any special cupcake/icing recipes?

Clotilde said...

I testify these cookies are amazing. My boyfriend loves them too. We are not allergic to anything but we think these cookies taste great! Highly recommended.