April 19, 2008

Buckwheat Pancakes

I have had a couple of people ask me about breakfast foods that are wheat and dairy free. Breakfast can get a little repetitive...I usually eat wheat free toast, eggs, fruit, tomato and even tuna on some days. But, on weekends it's always nice to have a special brekky treat! I LOVE pancakes and to be honest, up until today, I have used a buckwheat pancake mix. I decided to go online to find a good recipe to make from scratch and I found a great one on http://www.cdkitchen.com/. Here's the recipe, even better if served with really Canadian maple syrup! You could also serve it with fresh pureed fruit, honey, jam/jelly or apple sauce.
Buckwheat Pancakes:
2 cups buckwheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
4 tbsp. white sugar
a sprinkle of salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups rice milk (the original recipe called for regular milk, but I used rice milk and they turned out fine)
4 tablespoons melted butter (I used dairy free margarine and again they turned out great)
Preheat pan. I cooked the pancakes in rice bran oil because it's sweeter but any oil would work. Mix dry ingredients together. Add egg, milk and butter, mixing well. Pour enough batter for each pancake into pan and flip when it starts to bubble. Cook to a nice brown on each side. Enjoy!:)

1 comment:

George said...

Nice. Gotta love the buckwheat! It`s actually very good for you. One of the best foods you can eat.

Surprisingly Canada is one of the major producers of BW but it remains relatively under utilized hereabouts. Guess we are primarily wheat eaters by and large.

BW is not actually wheat although the name(obviously)can lead to misinterpretations.

Geo