April 15, 2008

Salmon Soup

I found this recipe online and was able to make it as is, to suit my diet. The only thing I did do that was a little different was add some rice noodles (the kind that you let sit in hot water for a couple of minutes and then they're good to go...usually found in the Asian food section of the grocery store) during the last couple minutes of cooking. I found it helped to make the soup a little heartier and more filling for a dinner meal. It makes a great leftover lunch as well, or works well as just a planned couple of lunches. My husband and I often make this and then just divide it into containers for a couple of easy and healthy lunches at work. My nutritionist said I should be be eating fish daily, so this is an easy and yummy way to do that!

Salmon Soup

1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons olive oil
5 cups chicken broth (be sure to check ingredients and choose one that is wheat free)
1 lb fresh salmon, thinly sliced
1 bunch fresh spinach, julienned
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt
rice noodles (optional)

Saute onion in olive oil until caramelized. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add sliced salmon and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes. Add pepper, stir and check if you need to add salt. It will depend on the kind of broth you use and your personal taste. Add rice noodles for a couple of minutes, if using (follow the directions for preparing the rice noodles on the package, before adding). Stir in spinach. Turn off the heat. Serve and enjoy! This is seriously SO easy to make!!!

3 comments:

Kristi Drennan said...

Oh I'm soooo excited for this one. Mainly because I know all the ingredients ha ha! But it looks super yummy!

Kat said...

I'm making this one for sure!

Selena said...

sounds really good, I'll have to try it. We had one similar except it made with coconut milk and I think it had green curry paste(not sure on that one). Can't wait to try yours.